Fall has come, and along with it has come the cold weather. This in turn has brought back the mice. Yup, I think they are moving back in for the winter. So, we have been busy getting our basement ready for the new guests. As unwelcome a site as they are, it is also a true reality and must be dealt with. We have placed all of our food, canned goods aside, in plastic storage bins.
As I was downstairs with the boys this morning, doing some cleaning, I came across more evidence of our little "friends". They had eaten into two packages of Costco brand baby wipes, you know, the unscented kind. Who could have guessed that one? I am now left wondering what it will be next? It is now in my plans to put everything possible or at least things that are somewhat important into plastic tubs. This may also come in handy when and if we get water inside again this winter.
It may sound like we are trying to accommodate our guests, which is in fact far from true. Last winter we caught well over a dozen little furry things. So, I am looking for any tips you all may have found to be useful in keeping these fellows out. Thankfully they have yet to find there way upstairs. When they do that I will be moving elsewhere.
Oh, and no I will not get a cat simply to keep these things away.
10/19/2009
What Will It Be Next?
Posted by Leanne at 12:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We get mice almost every winter too, and the only thing that works for us is the poison. It is annoying to go hunting for them behind the oven or fridge after they have died, but no more annoying than trying to dispose of the half dead ones on the glue traps. We have tried any number of traditional mouse traps with very moderate success. Happy Hunting!
Oh yeah! The joys of owning your home, huh?!?! Rubber bins is the only way to go - they will eat through anything. Good luck, we will be joining you shortly - no doubt.
Maybe get a cat? My mom had problems with rats until they got Katze. Now Katze is gone (thank goodness, she was the meanest cat ever!), and I wonder if my mom will have any little furry friends returning to her house while my parents are off in Cameroon this fall...
You may have an aversion to a cat because of Jason's allergies. However we made our cat Alice an outdoor cat. Which meant that she used the outdoors as her litter box and left her fleas outside too. She delivered many a dead rat or mouse to our front door. It was handy. Female cats are very good hunters. My parents cat helped take care of there mole problem too. Just a thought. Watch out for the coons though they ultimately killed the poor kitty. Sniff.
Post a Comment